KENTUCKY REGIONAL POISON CONTROL CENTER ADDRESSES SOME COMMON MYTHS PDF Print
Friday, 21 March 2014 05:16

The Kentucky Regional Poison Control Center of Kosair Children’s Hospital is addressing some of the most common myths when it comes to poisons, as part of National Poison Prevention Week.

WCLU News spoke with Dr. Ashley Webb, board-certified toxicologist and director of the Kentucky Regional Poison Control Center to help clear some of the possible confusion.  Dr. Webb says contrary to what you may have heard, drinking milk is not a universal anecdote:

No Flash Player detected

Dr. Webb also adds that inducing vomiting is not recommended:

No Flash Player detected

 

Also, be aware that child resistant does not mean child proof.  Child resistant packaging is not designed to completely prevent a child’s access, but to deter it long enough for an adult to intervene.  Dr. Webb encourages anyone to call the Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222 with concerns and questions as well:

No Flash Player detected

 

The Poison Control Center is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. On average, the poison control center receives a call every 7 minutes— more than 60,000 calls annually — from all of Kentucky’s 120 counties. Three of every four patients from those calls are successfully managed safely and inexpensively at home, reducing unnecessary emergency room visits and/or shortening hospital stays.

 

WCLU Weather

87°
30°
°F | °C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 55%
Mon
Partly Cloudy
71 | 89
21 | 31
Tue
PM Thunderstorms
67 | 85
19 | 29