BE WARY OF CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING AS YOU HEAT YOUR HOME THIS WINTER PDF Print
Tuesday, 21 January 2014 08:52

Temperatures may not be much below freezing, but the chance of carbon monoxide poisoning in children and families still increases during the winter, when home heating appliances are used.  Erika Janes, RN and Child Advocate with Kosair Children’s Hospital, says this time of year people will go to any extent to heat their homes:

No Flash Player detected

Often times the dangers of home heating aren’t considered, such as carbon monoxide.  Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that can be dangerous, if not fatal, should a heating appliance malfunction.

No Flash Player detected

To make matters worse, carbon monoxide poisoning can go undetected, as symptoms typically mimic viral illness like the flu. Symptoms can include headache, fatigue, dizziness, nausea, diarrhea and confusion.  Children and the elderly can be especially susceptible to co2 poisoning. If carbon monoxide poisoning is suspected, immediately seek medical attention.

Janes recommends that every home have a carbon monoxide detector.  She told WCLU News, sometimes the decibel range is hard to hear, and the one she bought has her recorded voice sounding the alarm:

No Flash Player detected

 

The alarm on the detector should sound at least 85 decibels and give family members ample time to ventilate or leave the home and call 911. If the detectors are battery-powered, the batteries should be tested twice a year, at the same time the home’s fire alarms are tested.

 

Today is Marsha Thompson Day!!  Celebrated a birthday on July 11

WCLU Weather

72°
22°
°F | °C
Fair
Humidity: 96%
Tue
Clear
71 | 90
21 | 32
Wed
Isolated Thunderstorms
67 | 91
19 | 32